Women’s access to health care is now the target of political debate. Across the country, legislators are cutting basic health services and restricting access to cancer screenings, birth control and abortion by eliminating funding for health clinics and by advocating in favor of:
• Allowing employers to deny insurance coverage for care they disagree with – such as refusing to cover birth control prescriptions. Imagine having to ask your boss for permission to use the pill.
• Mandating invasive and sometimes unwanted procedures. In Texas, for example, all women seeking an abortion must undergo a vaginal probe ultrasound, regardless of medical need. Physicians must position the fetal monitor to face the woman, describe the fetus in detail, and then make the patient wait 24 hours before performing an abortion.
• Mandating abortion counseling that includes inaccurate or misleading information. Some states are telling women abortion is linked to an increased risk of breast cancer, even though health experts agree no such link exists.
• Permitting doctors to withhold vital medical information – like the health status of a fetus – from pregnant women and their partners if that doctor suspects a woman may choose to terminate her pregnancy. And the woman would have no legal recourse.
Outraged? These are just a few of the worst examples of the current debate over women’s health and rights. And new legislation is written and introduced every day.
What can YOU do to fight back?
• Get involved! Learn more about restrictions on women’s access to health care and find out where your elected official stands. Use your political power to thwart attacks on women’s reproductive rights and access to essential health services.
• Get your bumper sticker! Donate at least $10 to Our Bodies Ourselves and we’ll send you 3 Our Bodies, Our Votes bumper stickers. Larger quantities also available for your friends, family, and favorite activists.
• Show your support online! Show your support with a virtual bumper sticker. Copy images for your website or blog, or use an Our Bodies, Our Votes square graphic as your social media image.
• Donate today! Our Bodies Ourselves is committed to standing up for women’s health and reproductive justice in the U.S. and around the globe. Check out our reproductive health resources and donate today to help us continue this important work.
• Tell a friend! Share this campaign with your social networks and help spread the word.